The Escuela Politécnica del Litoral (ESPOL) emerged as a response to the increasing demands of scientific-technical education in the Coast. It was created by the President of the Republic Dr. Camilo Ponce Enríquez, through Executive Decree No. 1664 published in the Official Register of November 11, 1958. On May 25, 1959, in two classrooms of the University Hall, 51 students began officially the academic life of ESPOL, under the direction of the first Rector, Mines engineer Walter Camacho Navarro.
In its beginnings, ESPOL had two specializations: Naval Engineering and Mining and Petroleum Engineering; by 1988, the latter was in charge of the Department of Geology, Mines and Petroleum.
Since 1990, the Faculty of Engineering in Earth Sciences (FICT) has been implanted in the ESPOL, replacing the Department of Geology, Mines and Petroleum. For this purpose, a quantitative study of human resources of higher level in Earth Sciences and, a consultation of the occupational profiles of the Engineering careers of the Faculty was achieved, whose results supported the curricular reform of the Engineering careers in Geology, in Petroleum and in Mines; and in turn the creation of a new career in Civil Engineering.
The Faculty of Engineering in Earth Sciences has been contributing to the training of professionals for more than four decades, developing its activities in the old site of ESPOL (Campus Las Peñas). Since 1991, the Faculty occupies the new facilities at the Gustavo Galindo Velasco Campus at Km. 30.5 Via Perimetral, Guayaquil-Ecuador and currently has a modern classroom building.